Monday, March 5, 2012

Meleager's Sidekick


Building off of Kent, Rebecca, and Nickson's blogs.

This is the story of Meleager and Euriponditis. How Euriponditis became Meleagers Sidekick, adapted from Nickson's story “The Calf and the Hyena.”..

Euriponditis was an inexperienced Boar Hunter but great weapon maker, to establish a stronger reputation he felt the need to capture a boar with his weapons. During this hunt Euriponditis was having grave struggles greater struggles than he had ever had before. He pleaded with God to aid his hunt. Time went by and he became more and more frustrated. He would sell everything he owned to gain knowledge on how to catch a boar, he lost everything. As he continued his search he found a boar stuck tied to a tree.

"To all the gods of mountains and trees, you can't claim to have helped me find this Boar," the Euriponditis said. "And to you, who claims to be the provider of everything and my mighty creator, I have nothing to do with you but to let you know that I'm very disappointed. Wait a minute! Don't even try to trick me that you provided this to me. No, this is entirely my efforts. Where were you when I sold all my belongings? Was it too difficult for you to bring this boar closer to me when I hadn’t sacrificed anything? Now, if you would excuse me, I want to enjoy this prized boar, and if you feel like you are the one who brought it, try and take it away from me."

So Euriponditis decided to attack the Boar, but to prove he didn’t need God to help him decided to let him go and run a bit and then catch him later. So he started to loosen the rope, and prepare for the fight. He loosed the rope, and the boar went loose. Euripondits could never catch the boar. Poor Euriponditis, that was the closest he got to food. He started crying and wailing and telling his creator that he was kidding, but that didn't help. Meleager came back to obtain his boar and was surprised to find Euriponditis sitting in the place of the Boar. With great sorrow in his eye Euriponditis pleads with Meleager. Meleager having pity on Euriponditis helps him catch the boar and give Euriponditis the credit and they have been friends ever since.  This relationships proves  beneficial to both sides Euriponditis providing superior weapons to Meleager and Euriponitis increasing his reputation for fine weaponry.

1 comment:

  1. I love how we're incorporating this into Meleager's story with the white stag. It just keeps on adding new dynamics.

    ReplyDelete