Monday, February 27, 2012

Trying to share the burden of what we have to do.


In Hamlet we see a struggle of Hamlet reaching out to others to fill his desire to revenge his father’s death.


One issue, is his determination to prove the guilt of Claudius and when speaking to Horatio states.


    “Observe mine uncle: if his occulted guilt
    Do not itself unkennel in one speech,”(III.ii.75-76)




If I knew who killed my father I would do everything in my power to bring justice, including catching the guilt of the murderer.

Hamlet also expresses his grief to Ophelia.

"for, look you, how cheerfully my mother looks,
 and my father died within these two hours.”(III.ii.109-110)











A good friend of Hamlet doesn’t see his pain. At times in my life I have opened myself up to seek support and help, and it hurts when those you confide in aren't able to help.


     Hamlet even tries to open his mother’s eyes.
       "Here is your husband; like a mildew'd ear,
       Blasting his wholesome brother. Have you eyes?” (III.iv.64-65)




He finally laments to himself.


“How stand I then,
That have a father kill'd, a mother stain'd,
Excitements of my reason and my blood,“ (IV.v.56-58)






Hamlet turned in many ways to others to help him grieve over his father. Every method he tried failed to fill the grief and pain he was experiencing. I could picture myself going from one hope to another trying to find peace and being unsuccessful. This characteristic of trying to fill the void can be found in Hamlet.  Hamlet is cunning and smart in some of his decisions but tends to procrastinate when things need to be finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment