Monday, February 6, 2012

Midterm

Midterm Self-Assessment
How have I gained Shakespeare Literacy?
  • Over the past month I have been able to read 4 of Shakespeare’s plays. I have read The Tempest, King Henry V, The Merchant of Venice, and Hamlet. In addition to reading I have also been able to discuss the plays weekly in class where I have had the opportunity to understand the plays even better.
How have I analyzed Shakespeare critically?
  • Over the last several weeks Professor Burton has been teaching us how to critically analyze Shakespeare. I have begun to do this as can be seen here, and which I will be doing more in depth on the play I get to read independently. My focus in reading thus far has been to get a wide knowledge, and I look forward to digging deeper and more focused in the upcoming weeks.
How have I engaged Shakespeare creatively?
  • I was able to attend a production of the Merchant of Venice and I posted a review. Another way is, I have been able to see 2 video production’s of Shakespeare. I saw Henry V, and also Hamlet on video. This helped me to visualize and get a different take on the plays. Kent and I have been talking of doing some recordings, and then putting them together I am excited to see how they can turn out.
How have I shared Shakespeare meaningfully?
  • I have been sharing my Shakespeare through conversation’s with a lot of different people, I can see that I missed documenting a lot of this in my blog. I have enjoyed reading others blogs and having others read and comment on my own. Most of my Shakespeare sharing has been through this blog. I plan to begin connecting more to others as Professor Burton has shared.
How have I gained digital literacy?
  • I consider myself fairly sufficient in my digital literacy. I have posted on blogs that others have created but this is my first experience creating and blogging on my own.  I am not converted to ebooks yet I find myself missing having a physical copy of what I am reading sometimes. Probably because that is the way I read growing up.  I look forward to learning more with some audio and video editing software. I have had an interview through video conferencing before, I used G chat and I chatted from the top of the Hill Cumorah, I don’t think many people can say that, but I look forward to trying it again.
Self-directed Learning
  • I have found myself thinking about how I can fulfill the learning outcomes. This is a great part about the class, because it gives us a chance to fit our learning styles to meet the guidelines Professor Burton has set.  I haven’t picked up on applying what is taught in class to my blog post as much as I should, but I think I am more aware of it now.  I have seen Rebecca dedicate herself with blogging every day and it has helped urge me to be more creative, but I have seemed to put off blogging, in feeling that I don’t have much to say.  I have enjoyed each person’s take on blogging styles and specifically how each person analyzes different parts in different ways. I feel like I am starting to get into phase II, throughout the first few weeks I was posting mainly to post, and now I have begun to post more of what I am learning and different thoughts that I have.

Collaborative and Social Learning
  • Kent and Rebecca have been a big help for me in this class, there is a different relationship when you are in the same physical location as other people.  We have had fun discussing our struggles and successes with Shakespeare. I have seen good support from the comments of Sarah and Emily, and have really enjoyed all the different perspectives in others blogs. Class time has been a time to look forward to, I like how we take time to discuss the things we have learned through the week. I think we could learn more of analyzing Shakespeare critically and take time in class like we did last week to study and then collaborate and discuss. My connecting outside of class has been poor so far, and I am working on connecting with others. I am however, engaging in learning on my own through blogs and other media sources

Looking Ahead
  • I look forward to studying more thoroughly an individual play in the coming weeks; I have also been talking with Kent about doing an Audio/Video project to one of Shakespeare’s plays stay tuned for what comes.


No comments:

Post a Comment